Export to ilda or other formats

10 years 8 months ago #218 by carmangary
Export to ilda or other formats was created by carmangary
Over on the PhotonLexicon forum I started a thread asking for laser show software companies to agree on a standard format for shows. The closest thing that exists right now is the ILDA format. But, Moncha doesn't allow exporting shows to ILDA format so I can't share shows I create with Moncha with my friends who have other software.

Do you have a reason for this? I understand that you offer this in the Fiesta package so perhaps it is incentive for people to upgrade to Fiesta. But, at the same time it is an incentive for people to NOT buy Moncha.

It would really be nice if all the software companies could at least import and export to the same format so that hobbyists can share the shows they create. You could still provide shows in MWS format if you wanted, and possibly add a copy protection code to it to prevent people from copying any shows you wanted to create.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the laser show hobby moving and I feel that the inability for the various software to export to a common format is really hurting things. I'd like to hear what your opinion is on this.

Thanks!
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #225 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Export to ilda or other formats
Standard laser format, hm, what a great idea. Please take this reply as my personal opinion only(with objective points).

ILDA standard, yes, sounds great. There are more types of ild format(2D, 3D, palette). First problem - none of them supports true color images. Yes, there is a format 4 and 5 used by Pangolin, which can do true color images, but it is non-standard. There was a new proposal for standard 3, but it was rejected. My point of view(of programmer), I'm not sure if there could be a worst new format, so I'm quite glad, it was not accepted(it would become nightmare for many developers). But, lucky us, some companies were so impatient, they've already started to use this new format. And now some users request us to support it, since they want to play ild files from other softwares in Moncha(Fiesta). Could the life be more beautiful?
Of course it could. So the ild "standard" comes with palette. Yes, there is standard ild palette in ild format. But do you think somebody uses it? No, everyone has its own palette(even Pangolin).
And since we're still not perfect, ild format doesn't contain scanrate of frame. Also it doesn't describe what exactly it stores - you can have point oriented ild files and frame oriented ild files - but do you think, it is possible to find out, which ild you have? No, why it should be possible...
And do you dream of using ild format to store show for more lasers? Well, continue dreaming...
And the specification - do you think, you can find out, what means the color of point(is it color of previous or following segment)? No, it is not important at all, so you have to try...

But, it is only standard in the laser-world(and that's all about the positives about it). So what can we do ..

About possibility to export shows to ild - well, it is a little problem with our shows(I know, there is only one right now in Moncha, but more will come I hope). It would not be good for us if users could just take it and export and use it on any other DAC(software). So we have to think about this. Of course I understand you, but this is quite a problem for every lasershow software company.

Michal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mystery
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds